Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Books & more books!

Genea-Musings graphic
     Randy Seaver, who writes Genea-Musings, a genealogy blog, always includes a Saturday weekly assignment for readers. A few days ago, on 24 September 2016, he asked: What kind of books do you read now and do they reflect your genealogy hobby? What was the last book you’ve read?
     I belong to a book club at my local senior center. The September book was Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. It’s not the kind of book I would choose to read - but isn’t broadening one’s horizons what a book club is all about? Now I’m reading October’s book, Ron Chernow’s Alexander Hamilton. I like it, although its length (700+ pages) is daunting. My bedtime books are mysteries.
     My favorite books are about genealogy. I do not read them cover-to-cover. I consult them for how-to help, browse them for interesting topics, or study them to learn more about specific areas of genealogy. 
     I’ve just embarked on my brand new copy of Genetic Genealogy in Practice by Blaine Bettinger and Debbie Parker Wayne. I hope it will help me interpret the results of my DNA tests, but I don’t think it’s going to be an easy read!